2000th
2014

Staffing

After 25 years as the Chancellor of HfG Offenbach, Dr. Vera Sponheimer-Bram retired in June.
Dr. Susanne Eickemeier is the new Chancellor, and took office for six years on July 1.

Appointments

As of the Winter semester, faculty of Product Design: Dr. Klaus Klemp, Deputy Director and Curator for Design at Museum Angewandte Kunst Frankfurt was appointed Professor of Design Theory and Design History

Building

Since July 2014, the HfG has exhibition spaces in the former Offenbach Customs office. The Customs Office Gallery can be used for exhibitions by HfG students and teachers from both faculties.

2013

Staffing

Prof. Adam Jankowski of the Visual Communications department, whose subject area was Painting, and Prof. Bernhard E. Bürdek of the Product Design department, whose subject area was the Methodology and Theory of Design, retired at the end of the summer semester. Jankowski had held his professorship for 26 years and Bürdek had been a professor at HfG for 34 years.

Appointments

As of the winter semester in the Visual Communications department: Berlin-based artist Gunter Reski to the Chair in Painting, Alexander Oppermann to the Chair in Electronic Media, video and performance artist Julika Rudelius to the Heinz and Gisela Friederichs Endowed Chair in Electronic Art. In the Product Design department architect Dr. Alex Buck was awarded the Adjunct Chair in Brand and Design Strategy.

B3 Biennale of Moving Pictures

The first B3 Biennale of Moving Pictures took place in Frankfurt between October 30 and November 3 with Festival, Parcours and Campus. The organizer was HfG Offenbach, HfG President Prof. Bernd Kracke was in charge of the festival.

2012

Staffing

At the end of the winter term Prof. Burghart Schmidt retired after 13 years as Professor of Philosophy/Aesthetics. Between 2005 and 2011, Schmidt had been Vice-President of HfG.
​Prof. Bernd Kracke’s second term as President of HfG started on September 15.

2011

Advisory Board

On April 4 HfG’s new Advisory Board was formed for the coming four years. It consists of ten members from the fields of business, the humanities and art.

The National Scholarship Program

The National Scholarship Program was introduced in the summer semester. The scholarships worth 300 euros per month were funded half by the Central Government and half by private benefactors.

Appointments

As of the summer semester: Graduate physicist Werner W. Lorke as Prof. of New Materials and Technology in the Product Design department; as of the winter semester: Eike Köng as Professor of Illustration/Graphic Design and Dr. Juliane Rebentisch as Professor of Philosophy/Aesthetics in the Visual Communications department; Dr. Martin Gessmann as Professor of the Theories of Culture and Technology in the Product Design department.

Staffing

Prof. Peter Eckart (Product Design department) and Prof. Marc Ries (Visual Communications department) were elected the new Vice-Presidents on March 24. On April 6 Prof. Klaus Hesse was elected the new Dean, Prof. Rotraut Pape the new Vice-Dean and Prof. Heiner Blum Dean of Studies in the Visual Communications department.

Building

At the beginning of the summer semester 2011, in addition to the main campus on Schlossstrasse, the University started using premises on Geleitsstrasse 103.
​The winter semester saw the opening of the first professionally run cafeteria for HfG. It is operated by Studentenwerk Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt’s student union.

2010

Doctorate

As of April 1, HfG started offering graduates from the fields of Art, Design, Media and related areas the opportunity to study for a PhD using a model combining academic knowledge with art and/or design.

Obituary

Richard Fischer, a professor in the Product Design department of many years’ standing, died on February 28.

Appointments

Sascha Lobe was appointed Professor of Typography, Dr. Marc Ries Professor of Sociology/Media Theory, and Alexander Oppermann Friederichs Endowed Professor of Interactive Design/Motion Design in the Visual Communications department; Dr. Markus Holzbach Professor of Materialization and Visualization. Interdepartmentally, urban planner Kai Vöckler was named Endowed Professor of Creativity in the urban context.

Staffing

Prof. Frank Zebner was elected Dean of the Product Design department.

Building

The college rented the Katharina von Bora house belonging to the city’s Protestant community and adjacent to the campus for the Product Design department’s foundation course.

Anniversary

On September 15, 1970, HfG was transformed into a Hessen State University of Art. HfG celebrated its anniversary under the motto “HfG XL 40 years of the University of Design Offenbach”.

2009

With its satellite in Berlin, HfG opened a gallery in the German capital with separate living quarters where changing exhibitions by its students could take place.

2008

Appointments

Artist Martin Liebscher was appointed Professor of Photography. Frank Zebner accepted an invitation to become Professor of Technical Products and Product Systems in the Product Design department.

Tuition fees

In the winter semester the tuition fees introduced one year earlier were abolished once again. They were replaced by QSL funding (funding to improve teaching quality).

2007

Building

Reconstruction work started on the façade of Isenburger Schloss and in the castle’s chapels.

Anniversary

HfG celebrated its 175th anniversary. The 10th guided tour of HfG was devoted to the anniversary. An alumni exhibition (July-August 2007) opened simultaneously at Frankfurt’s Museum Angewandte Kunst. A festschrift entitled “Gestalte Create” was published

Staffing

Prof. Peter Eckart, Professor of Product Design/Integral Design was elected Dean of the Product Design department.

Appointments

Hamburg-based artist Mariola Brillowska was appointed Professor of Fine Art Drawing and Illustration. The artist Atak (alias Georg Barber) was named Heinz and Gisela Friederichs Endowed Professor of Illustration.

Establishment

The Hessian Film and Media Academy was established on October 15 under the auspices of HfG. Additionally, the network initiative’s registered offices were located at HfG Offenbach.

Tuition fees

In the winter semester tuition fees were introduced at Hessen’s further education establishments for the first time.

2006

Building

The ostpol° on Hermann Steinhäuser Strasse was opened. This campus comprised apartments for students and teaching rooms.

Appointments

In the summer semester Dr. Martina Hessler was appointed Professor of Cultural and Technical History in the Product Design department; Dr. Christian Janecke was appointed Professor of the History of Art in the Visual Communications department.

Staffing

Adam Jankowski, Professor of Painting, was elected Dean of the Visual Communications department. Bernd Kracke, Professor of Electronic Media, was elected the new president of HfG on September 15.

Establishment

The Product Design department’s Institute of Technology-oriented Design Innovation (ITD) was established.

2005

Obituary

Kurt Steinel, former director and professor at HfG, died on September 10.

Appointment

Professor Achim Menges was appointed to the Product Design department to teach specialist courses in Visualization and Materialization as of the 2005-06 winter semester.

2004
2003

Appointment

Berlin-based artist Rotraut Pape was appointed Prof. of Film/Video.

2002

Building

The topping-out ceremony for the west wing was held on February 7. In March, the first floor at Isenburger Schloss was completed.

2001

Building

In July work started on the west wing, an extension to the main building.

2000

Appointments

Hamburg-based multimedia artist Bernd Kracke as Professor of Electronic Media, Düsseldorf-based graphic designer Klaus Hesse as Professor of Conceptual Design, Frankfurt-based designer Peter Eckart as Professor of Product Design
The Art Academy Act of the State of Hessen was replaced by the uniform Higher Education Act of the State of Hessen (HHG), which entitled HfG to appoint an outside expert as president.

Staffing

The council elected lawyer Frank Mussmann as the School’s first president.

1900th
1999
1998

Appointments

Philosopher Burghart Schmidt as Professor of Language and Aesthetics, Offenbach artist Heiner Blum as Professor of Design Basics and Experimental Spatial Concepts

1997

Staffing

Wolfgang Luy, Professor of Sculpture, elected Dean of HfG.

HfG organized a guided tour for the first time.

1996

Appointment

rosalie, a Stuttgart-based artist, joined HfG as a Professor of Stage Design.

1995

Staffing

Wolfgang Sprang, Professor of Graphic Design, elected Dean.

Appointment

Frankfurt artist Manfred Stumpf was appointed Professor of Figurative Drawing.

1994

Building

HfG moved into its first rooms at Isenburger Schloss.

1993
1992
1991

Appointment

Austrian media artist Richard Kriesche was appointed Professor of Electronic Imaging.

1990

Appointment

The Product Design department created a Chair in Conceptual Design Strategies and Color Design (Prof. Petra Kellner)

Building

Start of construction work on the long-planned extension building for the courses in Stage and Vehicle Design on November 26.

1989
1988

The department of Visual Communications passed new study and examination regulations and was divided up into four areas of specialization: Applied Design, Pure Design, Audiovisual Media, Stage Design.

1987

Appointment

Creation of a new Chair of Painting (Prof. Adam Jankowski).

1986

Appointment

A new position was created in the Visual Communications department: the Chair of Sculpture.

1985
1984
1983

Appointment

The Product Design department filled a newly created post in Furniture Design. The Architecture department was closed with effect from September 30.

1982

Appointment/staffing

Appointment of new professorships in Film, Language & Stage Design, and the creation of a post as Teacher for Special Purposes (Video) in the department of Visual Communications.
​The department of Visual Communications decided to introduce course specialization in Graphics, AV Media and Stage Design/Set Design. A two-semester course in Postdiplom Studies for the Visual Communications and Product Design departments was authorized.

1981
1980

Hessen’s Ministry of Culture issued a decree on August 18 to close the Architecture Department with effect from September 30, 1983.

1979
1978
1977
1976

Degree examination regulations were introduced for the Graphic Design and Product Design departments.

1975
1974

Staffing

Illustrator Prof. Kurt Steinel was elected Principal.

1973
1972
1971

Staffing

An art historian, Prof. Hans Voss, was elected the first Dean of HfG Offenbach.

1970

Establishment

of Hochschule für Gestaltung (HfG) as a University of Art and Design in the State of Hessen. The university comprised the Architecture, Graphic Design and Product Design departments.

1969

The School Management and the Board of Trustees agreed on a charter for the establishment of a University of Art and Design.

1968

Abolition of the old-style class system. A group of tutors taught in the three departments – Architecture with Interior Design, Graphics, Product Design with Ceramics, Leather, Textiles, and Furniture. In October, a “Manifesto on the State of the School of Applied Industrial Arts” was issued. The reconstruction work started on the partly destroyed school building in 1965 was completed.

1967
1966

An architect, Prof. Dieter Döpfner, was appointed Director of the School.

1965
1964

Dr. Hans Voss appointed Director of the School.

1963
1962
1961
1960
1959
1958
1957
1956
1955
1954

Henry Gowa appointed Director of the School of Applied Industrial Arts.

1953
1952
1951
1950
1949

The school was now called Offenbacher Werkkunstschule (Offenbach School of Applied Industrial Arts).

1948
1947
1946

The School for Master Craftsmen reopened in July. Director: Dr. Alexander Battes.

1945

On April 18, teaching was halted on the orders of the military government. On October 8 an inquiry was received from the state government of Greater Hessen regarding under what conditions the School for Master Craftsmen could be reopened.

1944
1943

The school was renamed “Meisterschule für das gestaltende Handwerk” (School for Masters of the Design Trade”. The school building was seriously damaged by fire bombs.

1942
1941
1940
1939

The school was given a new name: “Meisterschule des Deutschen Handwerks” (School for Master Craftsmen in the German Craft Industry). The title was intended to convey the idea of “masterly skill”, i.e., not that of training master tradesmen.

1938
1937

The School of Engineering’s classes also went to Darmstadt. The result: The technical teaching institutions in Offenbach now consisted purely of a School of Arts and Crafts.

1936
1935
1934

“As part of a new dirigiste organization of the vocational school system in the Rhine-Main region with the objective of centralizing the school system” the Nazis closed the School of Construction and relocated its classes to the “Landesbaugewerkschule” (State School for the Construction Trade) in Darmstadt.

1933
1932
1931
1930
1929
1928

When the Vocational School Act of December 14 came into force, the City of Offenbach became responsible for the school. The permanent staff were paid by the state and the institution’s material costs were borne by the City.

1927
1926
1925
1924
1923
1922
1921
1920
1919
1918
1917
1916
1915
1914

During World War I Hugo Eberhardt established the “Werkstätten und Berufsübungslazarett Technische Lehranstalten Offenbach a.M.” (Military Hospital’s Workshops and Technical Teaching Institutions for the Exercise of Professions in Offenbach/Main” in the newly finished school complex. His objective: to allow the wounded to be re-integrated into professional life. There were also workshops for orthopedic technicians where artificial limbs were built and tested.

1913

Inauguration of and move into the school building next to Isenburger Schloss.

1912
1911
1910

Building

Start of construction work on the new school building planned by Professor Hugo Eberhardt next to a local castle, Isenburger Schloss.

1909
1908

The state government of Hessen authorized the School of Construction to be called “Baugewerkschule” (School for the Construction Trade).

1907
1906
1905
1904
1903

Incorporation of a school of engineering, meaning that the technical institutes were now divided into: (1) School of Construction, (2) School of Engineering, (3) School of Art and Crafts, and (4) Crafts School

1902

Change of name to “Technische Lehranstalten der Stadt Offenbach a. M.” (Technical Teaching Establishment of the City of Offenbach/Main). The school was now one of the educational establishments in Hessen that were 50% financed through public funding.

1901
1900
1800th
1899
1898
1897
1896
1895
1894
1893
1892
1891
1890

The school’s new official name was “Städt. Kunstgewerbe- und gewerbliche Fachschule zu Offenbach a. M.” (State Vocational School of Arts & Crafts and Trades in Offenbach/ Main)

1889
1888
1887
1886
1885

The school was renamed the “Kunstgewerbeschule” (School of Arts and Crafts). The City erected a new school building on Mathildenplatz. The local and state trade associations made available starting capital of 40,000 marks from the profits of the 1879 State Trade Fair.

1884
1883
1882
1881
1880
1879
1878
1877

Merger between the two vocational education establishments, the Crafts School and the School of Industrial Art to form the “Vereinigte Kunstindustrie- und Handwerkerschule” (United School of Industrial Art and Crafts School).

1876
1875

The City itself took charge of the school but entered in on negotiations with the state trade association for a higher grant.

1874
1873
1872

A sculptor named Keller assumed responsibility for the School of Industrial Art. At the same time, drawing courses for teachers at state schools were included in the teaching curriculum.

1871
1870
1869
1868

The planned School of Industrial Art was finally established on March 8 and its teaching schedule approved by the State Trade Association and the City.

Staffing

The first teacher was building assessor Müller.

1867
1866
1865
1864
1863
1862
1861
1860

The state trade association, the local trade association and the Chamber of Commerce considered establishing a Municipal School of Industrial Art alongside the existing Crafts School. Delays in the establishment of the latter.

1859
1858
1857
1856
1855
1854
1853
1852
1851
1850

The City of Offenbach started paying a fixed grant of 150 guilders per year. Accordingly, the Lord Mayor became an advisory member of the trade association’s management board on matters relating to the Crafts School.

1849
1848
1847
1846

Übernahme der Schule durch den Gewerbeverein. Vertrag mit Fink, der als Lehrer übernommen wird. Die Schule ist als Sonntagsschule organisiert und mit einer Abendschule verbunden. Die Schüler zahlen 30 Kr. Schulgeld jährlich. Ihr Alter liegt durchschnittlich bei 15 Jahren.

1845
1844
1843
1842
1841

The school received assistance from the “Verein zur Beförderung des Gewerbewesens” (Association for the Advancement of Skilled Trades) in Darmstadt in the form of sample texts as teaching material.

1840
1839
1838
1837
1836
1835
1834
1833
1832

Foundation

Surveyor Georg Fink established the “Offenbacher Handwerkerschule” (Offenbach Crafts School) as a private institute – on his own initiative, at his own expense and without financial support from the City.